How to Stop or Avoid Flea Bites on Humans & Pets?
Fleas have always been a deadly dream to the pet owner on the globe. It causes annoying itchy bites in pets as well as humans. Some of them are very allergic and they can also transmit diseases. Avoiding flea bites needs proper planning and execution, it is very much possible to do so.
It starts with evaluating your pets and house; if you find any sign of fleas then you need to take action to eliminate fleas and their eggs. Flea Eggs are also a risk as they become flea in the period of six months. Below are the listed things that are to be done to avoid flea bites.
1. How to avoid Flea Bites in Humans?
- Lemon Spray or Vinegar:
- Fleas hate the smell, it can be of lemon or vinegar; they just hate it. If you want to get rid of fleas temporarily, spray lemon or vinegar around your pets and house. This will keep the fleas away until the smell last.
- You can make your own spray solution just by soaking the pieces of lemon in water for overnight. The first step is to boiling it before leaving for a night.
- In case of vinegar, add some vinegar to water and put it in spray bottle to use.
- You also need to check if your pet isn’t allergic to material you are using.
- Using a diffuser or oils to repel fleas:
- Number of diffusers can be placed at various places in your house. There are various selections of aromas like lavender, eucalyptus, cedar, lemon or mint which can be used to repel fleas.
- Flea repelling lotion can also be used in case of humans.
- Spray Insecticide in your Home:
- Spray of insecticides can be used to inhibit the growth of fleas. Take in consideration, the health hazards of spraying insecticides.
- Spraying insecticides in your yard can be best option to kill fleas and their eggs in flea season. This can be done with the help of an environmental protection agency. Check whether the insecticide is suitable for use in plants or not.
2. How to avoid flea bites on pets?
- Monthly check up of pets with flea comb:
- Catching the fleas in early stages of growth is good option to stop their growth. Check for white or black dots while using a anti-flea comb on your pet’s coat.
- Keep checking your pet’s fur, legs and ears for any mark, rash or allergy. If it is caught in early stage, it is easier to handle.
- Monthly Medication to your Pets:
- Monthly flea medication can also be given to your pets after consultation with a veterinarian.
- A Homemade flea collar:
- Prefer to make a homemade collar with above mentioned flea repelling smells. Just spray few drops of oil with 2 tablespoon of water to your collar. This can also be done by tying a handkerchief around your pat’s neck.
- Adding brewer’s yeast to your pet’s diet:
- Beer yeast is also a solution as they repel fleas. For a cat or small dog, ½ teaspoon of brewer’s yeast can be added to your pet’s food by sprinkling over it. 1 teaspoon can be increased for every 30 pounds extra weight your pet carries.
You can take of care of yourself or your pet with the points mentioned above. Above mentioned steps are easy to perform and doable at home. You can comment below if you find any other method to avoid flea bites on humans and pets.